Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Dear Attorneys,


I’m in the middle of a divorce and I am in agreement with a shared parenting plan. However, I do not have an attorney and my husband’s attorney is saying that he does not have to pay child support because it’s a shared parenting plan. Is that true?



Seeking Support

Modifying Child Custody in New York: When Co-Parenting Is Not Working -  Daniel Clement

Dear Seeking,


In Connecticut, child support is based on the Connecticut Child Support Guidelines. It is very formulaic and essentially takes into account each party’s gross pay, the number of children, taxes, and who carries medical insurance.  The information is input into the Guidelines and a presumptive child support amount is calculated. The Guidelines also provide amounts for the division of unreimbursed medical expenses and work-related daycare. The Guidelines have a list of potential deviation criteria and one of those factors is a shared parenting plan. We often do deviate when there is a shared parenting plan because each parent will then have similar food, clothing, and shelter expenses. However, the deviation is not required and just because it is a shared parenting plan, it does not mean that no child support will be paid.  In situations where the parties make essentially the same amount of money, it may make sense to negate child support. However, when one party makes substantially more money than the other party, sometimes even a deviation will not make sense. It may be in your best interest to consult with a lawyer about your specific situation to see what would be best for you.


Wolf & Shore Law Group is here to help you make your family law matters easier, not harder.  We are realistic and direct with our clients. We encourage potential clients to seek out a firm where they will feel comfortable and confident. Ever argue with a woman? Let Wolf & Shore Law Group go to work for you. Call us at 203.745.3151 or email us at


Very Truly Yours,

Wolf & Shore Law Group


*The situations represented in our Dear Attorneys column are entirely fictional and any resemblance to a specific case is unintentional. We cannot, and will not, offer legal advice to anyone who is not a client. However, if you do have questions or concerns, you should contact an attorney at your convenience.

Skip to content