Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Dear Attorneys,


I entered into a Custody Agreement with my ex-partner four years ago. Things are different now. We live further away from each other and we both make more money. Also, our son is older and more involved in sports. How can I change our agreement?



Seeking Change Susan


Dear Susan,


You can modify a custody agreement (or divorce agreement) post-judgment if there has been a substantial change in circumstances, or if you can prove that it is in the best interest of the minor child. It sounds like you at least have the substantial change of circumstances portion covered, and it’s a great sign that you are taking your son’s schedule into account as well. You may want to speak with your ex-partner first to see if the two of you can discuss a potential modification and how close you are to an agreement. Once you know that, you should seek the advice of an attorney on how to file, what to modify, and how to finalize it in the most desirable way possible. Often, these agreements can be negotiated outside of court and then filed to ease the time and financial burdens for both parties.


Wolf & Shore Law Group is here to help you make your family law matters easier, not harder.  We are realistic and direct with our clients. We encourage potential clients to seek out a firm where they will feel comfortable and confident. Ever argue with a woman? Let Wolf & Shore Law Group go to work for you. Call us at 203.745.3151 or email us at


Very Truly Yours,

Wolf & Shore Law Group


*The situations represented in our Dear Attorneys column are entirely fictional and any resemblance to a specific case is unintentional. We cannot, and will not, offer legal advice to anyone who is not a client. However, if you do have questions or concerns, you should contact an attorney at your convenience.


Skip to content