Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Dear Attorneys,


My children are older (teenagers) and I have been divorced from their father for a long time. We are now back in court on a post-judgment matter, and they have been asking me questions about the court case. I answered them truthfully because I like to treat them as adults. My ex-husband’s attorney filed a motion for me to stop discussing the court case with them. Can she do that?



Openly Discussing


Dear Openly,


Yes, the attorney can request that you stop discussing the case with your children, and likely, would win if you ever had a hearing on that motion. In general, court (and other adult matters) should simply not be discussed with minor children. Even if you think that they are emotionally ready to hear about it, discussing such with them ultimately puts them in the middle of your court battle, whether or not you mean for that to happen. Consider this-would you want your children to also discuss it with your ex-husband? Do you think he would have a different version to tell them? Most judges, and most attorneys, would advise you to stop discussing these issues with your children immediately. If they continue to have questions, you can simply tell them that you would be happy to discuss adult issues with them when they are adults. They may not be happy about it, but ultimately, it is probably better not only for their well-being, but also for your currently pending case.


Wolf & Shore Law Group is here to help you address your post-judgment concerns and are here to make your post-judgment matters easier, not harder.  Ever argue with a woman? Let Wolf & Shore Law Group go to work for you. Call us at 203.745.3151 or email us at


Very Truly Yours,

Wolf & Shore Law Group


*The situations represented in our Dear Attorneys column are entirely fictional and any resemblance to a specific case is unintentional. We cannot, and will not, offer legal advice to anyone who is not a client. However, if you do have questions or concerns, you should contact an attorney at your convenience.

Leave a comment


Skip to content