Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Dear Attorneys,

When I got divorced, my ex-wife and I reached an agreement without attorneys. We did not think to include a holiday schedule. Now we are fighting over who has the kids this Thanksgiving. What can I do?


Turkey Trouble

Dear Turkey,

That is never a fun situation.  The good news is that you can file a Post-Judgment Motion to Open and Modify to create a holiday parenting plan going forward.  The bad news is that you will not get into court before the holidays, even if you file today.  Absent an emergency situation (which would warrant an ex parte motion), it takes a few weeks to get a court date.  Additionally, it is generally difficult to reach a full agreement at your very first court date, especially if you do not use lawyers again.  Alternatively, you can consult with an attorney and see if he or she can help you to negotiate with your ex-spouse prior to the holidays (even if you do decide to file a motion and have it pending).  Absent a new, written agreement, the two of you will just have to work together to resolve your scheduling dilemma. Hopefully you can mutually agree to a schedule that you can both live with, and take solace in the fact that this will be fixed for the holidays next year if you address it now.

Wolf & Shore Law Group is here to help you make your family law matters easier, not harder.  We are realistic and direct with our clients. We encourage potential clients to seek out a firm where they will feel comfortable and confident. Ever argue with a woman? Let Wolf & Shore Law Group go to work for you. Call us at 203.745.3151 or email us at

Very Truly Yours,

Wolf & Shore Law Group

*The situations represented in our Dear Attorneys column are entirely fictional and any resemblance to a specific case is unintentional. We cannot, and will not, offer legal advice to anyone who is not a client. However, if you do have questions or concerns, you should contact an attorney at your convenience.

Skip to content