Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Dear Attorneys,


I pay child support to my ex-husband. He signs up our kids for extracurricular activities and brings them, but expects me to contribute money to the activities as well. Do I have to?




Activity Opposed


Dear Activity,


Child support is separate from a contribution toward extracurricular activities, unreimbursed medical expenses and/or work-related childcare.  However, you need to reference your underlying dissolution agreement and see what it says pertaining to extracurricular activities. If you agreed to contribute to your children’s extracurricular activities, then, at least according to the Court Order, you need to do so. The exception may be if your agreement says that you only need to contribute to mutually agreed upon activities, and the activity you are questioning is something that you did not agree to.  That said, if you are withholding consent for an activity, that usually needs to be “not unreasonably withheld,” so you should have a discussion with your ex-husband about why you are withholding consent (if you are).


Wolf & Shore Law Group is here to help you address your post-judgment concerns and assess potential modifications, or contempt allegations, as necessary. We are here to make your post-judgment matters easier, not harder.  Ever argue with a woman? Let Wolf & Shore Law Group go to work for you. Call us at 203.745.3151 or email us at


Very Truly Yours,

Wolf & Shore Law Group


*The situations represented in our Dear Attorneys column are entirely fictional and any resemblance to a specific case is unintentional. We cannot, and will not, offer legal advice to anyone who is not a client. However, if you do have questions or concerns, you should contact an attorney at your convenience.

Skip to content