Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Dear Attorneys,


I think my ex-wife is going to violate our custody agreement by moving out of the county. Can I file a motion for contempt now?



Moving Mystery


Dear Moving,


If your ex-wife has not yet violated the underlying Agreement or Court Order, then you likely do not have grounds to file a Motion for Contempt. The threshold that you have to prove for a Motion for Contempt is that there was a willful violation of a clear and unambiguous Order. So, without a violation, you may not have a case. However, if you have proof of an impending move, you may have grounds to file an injunction or potentially even an ex parte motion. You should consult with an attorney are your earliest convenience regarding such.


Wolf & Shore Law Group is here to help you make your family law matters easier, not harder.  We are realistic and up front with our clients. We encourage potential clients to seek out a firm where they will feel comfortable and confident. Ever argue with a woman? Let Wolf & Shore Law Group go to work for you. Call us at 203.745.3151 or email us at


Very Truly Yours,

Wolf & Shore Law Group


*The situations represented in our Dear Attorneys column are entirely fictional and any resemblance to a specific case is unintentional. We cannot, and will not, offer legal advice to anyone who is not a client. However, if you do have questions or concerns, you should contact an attorney at your convenience.

Skip to content