Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Dear Attorneys,

I moved to Connecticut a few months ago with my children. I have a custody agreement from a court in Florida, where I used to live. I’ve had some serious changes in my circumstances and would like to modify this agreement. Am I able to do that here in Connecticut, or do I have to try to start that in my home state?

Very Truly Yours,

Moved to Modify


Dear Moved,

There are a few scenarios that could be applicable to your situation. How long have you lived in Connecticut? If you’ve lived here for more than six months, you can absolutely file a modification here. However, before you file to modify you will need to make sure the Connecticut court recognizes your out-of-state judgment. There is a process to follow for this when you are filing the post-judgment motion to modify.

If you have not lived here for 6 months, Connecticut may not have jurisdiction over your custody matter, although you should consult with an attorney regarding your specific circumstances.  If that is the case, you would need to modify your agreement in the state in which it was filed.

If you have additional questions, we would be happy to meet with you for a confidential consultation. We can be reached at 203.745.3151 or

Very Truly Yours,

Wolf & Shore Law Group

Leave a comment


Skip to content