Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Dear Attorneys,

I have sole legal custody of my child. I want to relocate to New Jersey for work. Can I do that? Do I have to tell my ex?


On the Move

Dear On,

That depends. Does your underlying agreement reference how, or if, you are able to relocate? Most dissolution agreements will contain a clause indicating how to provide notice of an intended move to the other party.  However, if your agreement does not (i.e. it is silent to it), then you may be able to relocate since you have sole legal custody. The issue is that if your ex is not in agreement with such, then he or she may be able to file a motion to prevent, or at least, delay, your move. There is specific case law for relocation matters, so you should consult with an attorney to see whether or not you have a strong relocation case.

Wolf & Shore Law Group is here to make your relocation matter easier, not harder.  Ever argue with a woman? Let Wolf & Shore Law Group go to work for you. Call us at 203.745.3151 or email us at

Very Truly Yours,

Wolf & Shore Law Group

*The situations represented in our Dear Attorneys column are entirely fictional and any resemblance to a specific case is unintentional. We cannot, and will not, offer legal advice to anyone who is not a client. However, if you do have questions or concerns, you should contact an attorney at your convenience.

Skip to content