Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Dear Attorneys,

I am not a US citizen, but I have a green card and I want to file for divorce. Will this affect my status? I may just stay in my marriage and forgo the risk of losing my status as a resident of the United States.




Dear Permanent,

That is a very valid concern to have. However, the answer is not exactly cut and dry. If you specifically got a Visa on the basis of marriage, your Visa could be called into question. Alternatively, if you are a permanent resident already, you likely do not need to worry. A permanent residency is different than a “green card” and it is usually not called into question during a divorce.

We would recommend that you work with a divorce attorney and consult with an immigration attorney to ensure that your residency will not be affected. Wolf & Shore Law Group works with immigration attorneys when these situations arise, and we make sure you have a clear understanding of all your options before going forward.

If you’re looking to make your divorce easier, and not harder, Wolf & Shore Law Group is the firm for you!

Attorneys Kristen Wolf and Shari Shore are both tenacious enough to protect your best interests, and compassionate enough to understand the difficulties that arise during a dissolution of marriage, especially when it involves questions surrounding your immigration status. Ever argue with a woman? Let Wolf & Shore Law Group go to work for you. Call us at 203.745.3151 or email us at

Very Truly Yours,

Wolf & Shore Law Group

Skip to content