Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Dear Attorneys,

I don’t think my child is getting services that he needs in school. I was talking to a friend who told me to get an educational advocate. I have never heard of this, and apparently it is not something the school provides for me. Any idea what that is? Do I need to get an advocate and an attorney separately?


Devoted Dad


Dear Devoted,

An educational advocate (also known as a surrogate) is someone who steps in with the school/school board to advocate on your child’s behalf and ensure that your child receives the appropriate services through the school system. Sometimes that is an Individualized Education Plan (IEP), or perhaps speech or other therapeutic services, and sometimes it is as simple as extra time for exams. An educational advocate/surrogate will attend PPT meetings, ensure that the IEP is being followed, and even reach out to providers on your behalf.

An educational advocate does not have to be an attorney, but many are.  Our clients seem to prefer the attorney route because we are familiar with navigating the system and also have a network of other providers if your family should need such. It is often in a child’s best interest for the family to  retain an attorney that also acts as an educational advocate to best ensure that the child’s needs are met.

Having an educational advocate on your side can offer some peace of mind, and our office is here for you. If you’re looking to make navigating your child’s educational needs easier, and not harder, Wolf & Shore Law Group is the firm for you!

Attorneys Kristen Wolf and Shari Shore are both tenacious enough to protect your best interests, and compassionate enough to understand the difficulties that arise when advocating for your child’s needs and services.

Ever argue with a woman? Let Wolf & Shore Law Group go to work for you. Call us at 203.745.3151 or email us at

Very Truly Yours,

Wolf & Shore Law Group

Leave a comment


Skip to content