Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Dear Attorneys,

What is post-secondary education? This keeps coming up in my custody matter, and I’m not sure what it means. Why would the court “keep jurisdiction” over this? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.




Dear Confused,

Great question! Post-secondary education is literally any education that your child pursues after high school. This could be vocational school, community college, or university. The court would retain jurisdiction over this so that if you needed to address who is going to contribute to your child’s education, and to what degree they would contribute, you could go back to the court and do that if you and your child’s other parent cannot reach an agreement on your own. If the court does not retain jurisdiction over this issue, then you cannot file any motions regarding the payment for your child’s higher education. Our office typically includes the court retaining jurisdiction in our agreements as well.

If you have additional questions and find that you are in need of a confidential consultation, please contact us at 203.745.3151 or

Very Truly Yours,

Wolf & Shore Law Group

Leave a comment


Skip to content