Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Dear Attorneys,

I decided to start a family on my own, and found a sperm donor. I have since had my baby, but I was wondering – does my donor have rights? Will I have to go to court and have them terminated? This seems pretty complicated, especially if one day I find a partner who would like to adopt my son.


All By Myself


Dear All By Myself,

That is an excellent question! The answer really depends on circumstances. If you went to a clinic, it is very possible that the paperwork to terminate rights is already handled and filed by the clinic. If you received a copy of such, a thorough review would be in your best interest.

Now, if you found a private donor, the answer is yes – you will need to terminate his parental rights, if you did not do so through a contract/agreement at the outset of the insemination. Ultimately, you would need to establish paternity, then move to terminate his parental rights, and then you would need to separately file an adoption petition with your partner.

This may seem complicated, but we can assure you that with the right attorney on your side it should be fairly easy. We recommend that you set up a consultation as soon as possible. We would be happy to help you, and we can be reached at 203.745.3151 or

Very Truly Yours,

Wolf & Shore Law Group

Leave a comment


Skip to content