Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Dear Attorneys,


My ex-husband wants to take our son (10 years old) to Colorado to go skiing and wants to sign him up for skiing lessons before they go. We have joint legal custody and I don’t agree because I think that skiing is dangerous. What can I do?




Ski Scaredy Cat


Dear Ski,


We can understand your concerns. However, unless there are special circumstances that would make skiing an exceptionally dangerous situation, a court would likely find that it is just another extracurricular activity. That said, if the activity impacts your parenting time, or you do not want to pay for it since you do not consent, that’s another issue and could be addressed separately. Ultimately, you should reference your dissolution agreement and see what it says about extracurricular activities so that you know how to proceed. That said, if your ex-husband wants to take your child out of state, that would likely fall under a vacation clause in your dissolution agreement and you should also reference that. You may not be able to unreasonably withhold consent regarding a vacation, so if you do want to withhold consent, it should be a documented reason that you are prepared to backup if necessary.


If you have additional questions regarding your post-judgment parenting concerns, contact Wolf & Shore Law Group. We are here to make your post-judgment motions easier, not harder.  Ever argue with a woman? Let Wolf & Shore Law Group go to work for you. Call us at 203.745.3151 or email us at


Very Truly Yours,

Wolf & Shore Law Group

*The situations represented in our Dear Attorneys column are entirely fictional and any resemblance to a specific case is unintentional. We cannot, and will not, offer legal advice to anyone who is not a client. However, if you do have questions or concerns, you should contact an attorney at your convenience.

Skip to content