Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Dear Attorneys,


I have sole legal and physical custody of my son through a Court Order. My son’s father has supervised visitation, but he does not always act on it. Can I move out of the State of Connecticut with my son? Currently, his father does not live in Connecticut, but I would be moving to a state other than where he resides.  Would I be violating the Court Order by moving?



On the Move


Dear On the Move,


If you have sole legal and physical custody of your son, and if your underlying Court Order does not prohibit you from relocating, you may very well be able to move out of state with your son. You should refer to your Court Order to see if you have to provide any written notice of such. However, if your ex does not have joint legal custody, then he does not have to be a part of the decision making process. Moreover, if he does not live in Connecticut and is not exercising his visitation anyway, then moving to another state may not impede his visitation as it is. You may want to consult directly with an attorney and create a gameplan as to when to actually let your ex know about the move. We wish you the best of luck for a smooth transition!



Wolf & Shore Law Group is here to help you make your family law matters easier, not harder.  We are realistic and up front with our clients. We encourage potential clients to seek out a firm where they will feel comfortable and confident. Ever argue with a woman? Let Wolf & Shore Law Group go to work for you. Call us at 203.745.3151 or email us at


Very Truly Yours,

Wolf & Shore Law Group


*The situations represented in our Dear Attorneys column are entirely fictional and any resemblance to a specific case is unintentional. We cannot, and will not, offer legal advice to anyone who is not a client. However, if you do have questions or concerns, you should contact an attorney at your convenience.

Skip to content