Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer
Child abuse

Dear Attorneys,


I don’t think that my soon-to-be-ex wife is taking care of our daughter during her parenting time. We separated about six months ago and we each have our daughter about half of the time. However, when I pick up our daughter from school after she has been with her mom, her clothes smell kind of sour, her hair is unkempt and often, her homework isn’t done. I want to tell the court about this because I think something needs to change. What do I do?



Not Tolerating Neglect


Dear Not,


That is a difficult situation for you, and a very tough situation for your daughter as well. Has the school contacted you regarding any hygiene issues or academic issues? If not, you may want to reach out to the school social worker and see if this is something that the school has noticed as well. If they have not, then you should consider taking some photographs to document your concerns and discussing it with your spouse. It may (or may not) be appropriate to change the parenting schedule if you believe that your spouse is neglecting your child.

How Do You Know When to Report Child Abuse? - Marietta Attorneys Dean  Phillips Law OfficeIt may also be appropriate to ask the court to appoint a guardian ad litem (GAL) to advocate for your daughter’s best interests. Another option that may work is for you and your spouse to go to a co-parenting counselor and see if you can get on the same page about these issues. Ultimately, you should consider your options and discuss the best course of action with your attorney.


Wolf & Shore Law Group is here to help you make your family law matters easier, not harder.  We are realistic and up front with our clients. We encourage potential clients to seek out a firm where they will feel comfortable and confident. Ever argue with a woman? Let Wolf & Shore Law Group go to work for you. Call us at 203.745.3151 or email us at


Very Truly Yours,

Wolf & Shore Law Group


*The situations represented in our Dear Attorneys column are entirely fictional and any resemblance to a specific case is unintentional. We cannot, and will not, offer legal advice to anyone who is not a client. However, if you do have questions or concerns, you should contact an attorney at your convenience.

Skip to content