Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer
Income Tax return Form

Dear Attorneys,


I’m going through a divorce and while we have always filed our taxes jointly, I want to file separately this year. Can I do that?

Tax Tips and Divorce - Utah Divorce Attorney David Pedrazas


Timmy Taxes


Dear Timmy,


If you are going through a divorce, you and your spouse should agree as to how to file taxes before you actually file. If you do not reach an agreement but have historically filed jointly, the court may recommend (or Order) that.  Furthermore, if you file on your own and solely retain any refund, that may need to be addressed during the property settlement portion of your divorce. Alternatively, if you and your spouse can agree on an accountant to use and follow his or her advice, that may make the process both easier and more beneficial for you. If you have any questions, you should consult with your attorney.


Wolf & Shore Law Group is here to help you make your family law matters easier, not harder.  We are realistic and up front with our clients. We encourage potential clients to seek out a firm where they will feel comfortable and confident. Ever argue with a woman? Let Wolf & Shore Law Group go to work for you. Call us at 203.745.3151 or email us at


Very Truly Yours,

Wolf & Shore Law Group


*The situations represented in our Dear Attorneys column are entirely fictional and any resemblance to a specific case is unintentional. We cannot, and will not, offer legal advice to anyone who is not a client. However, if you do have questions or concerns, you should contact an attorney at your convenience.

Skip to content