Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Dear Attorneys,

I’m going through a divorce and want to stay in my current home. However, I don’t think that I can afford it on just my income. What should I do?


Homebody Helen

Dear Helen,

That is always a difficult situation, and I’m sure your home is very important to you. Have you consulted with a lender yet? Often, if you are receiving child support and/or alimony on top of your income, you have a better chance to qualify for a mortgage or a re-finance. Also, if you go to a mortgage broker, rather than a bank, there will likely be additional options. If you re-finance, there is potential to decrease your monthly payment if you can get a better interest rate.

If pursuing a re-finance even with additional funds does not work for you, you can speak with your attorney about other offsets in the division of your assets to perhaps either decrease a buyout or potentially lower your overall costs.  This is definitely a trickier situation, and you would likely benefit from consulting professionals.  Good luck! We hope you can figure out the financial part so that you can remain in your home comfortably.

Wolf & Shore Law Group is here to help you make your family law matters easier, not harder.  We are realistic and direct with our clients. We encourage potential clients to seek out a firm where they will feel comfortable and confident. Ever argue with a woman? Let Wolf & Shore Law Group go to work for you. Call us at 203.745.3151 or email us at

Very Truly Yours,

Wolf & Shore Law Group

*The situations represented in our Dear Attorneys column are entirely fictional and any resemblance to a specific case is unintentional. We cannot, and will not, offer legal advice to anyone who is not a client. However, if you do have questions or concerns, you should contact an attorney at your convenience.

Leave a comment

Skip to content