Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Dear Attorneys,


I got engaged on Christmas, and I’m so excited! BUT-I have been living on my own and working for over a decade. I have a decent amount in savings and retirement, and I own my own condo. When I get married, will my (then-)husband automatically be entitled to half of my assets? Can he access them? What happens if we do get divorced for some reason?



Super Saver


Dear Super,


Congratulations on your engagement! Also, good for you! Not only have you been financially smart while living on your own, but you have the foresight to consider the “what if” scenarios. It sounds like you may benefit from a pre-nuptial agreement if you have these concerns. First, you should speak with your fiancé about wanting a pre-nup, and why. Then, you should consult with an attorney so that it is drafted correctly and therefore, less likely to be challenged. In a pre-nuptial agreement, you can itemize not only what happens to your current assets, but also what could happen to your future assets, if you unfortunately were to get divorced.

“The contract entered into by a couple prior to marriage or civil union. The contract usually covers such items as division of property, assets and spousal support in the event of a divorce or breakup of a marriage. Not all countries recognise a Prenuptial Agreement as having legal standing.”


Wolf & Shore Law Group is here to help you make your family law matters easier, not harder.  We are realistic and up front with our clients. We encourage potential clients to seek out a firm where they will feel comfortable and confident. Ever argue with a woman? Let Wolf & Shore Law Group go to work for you. Call us at 203.745.3151 or email us at


Very Truly Yours,

Wolf & Shore Law Group


*The situations represented in our Dear Attorneys column are entirely fictional and any resemblance to a specific case is unintentional. We cannot, and will not, offer legal advice to anyone who is not a client. However, if you do have questions or concerns, you should contact an attorney at your convenience.

Skip to content