Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Dear Attorneys,

My attorney asked me if I will be claiming “head of household” on my taxes and told me to consult with my accountant if necessary. What does this mean? What effect would this have on my divorce?


HoH Hesitant

Dear HoH,

You can file your tax return as Head of Household if you are considered unmarried, you are filing an individual tax return and if you can claim an exemption for a qualified person (usually if you pay more than one-half of the cost of supporting and housing a qualified person, such as a dependent). Your lawyer may want to know this for child support guidelines and, potentially for tax-planning purposes. If you are trying to strategize to minimize your tax liability, you should really have a joint conversation with your attorney and account to make sure that everyone is on the same page.

You can also ask your attorney to run different child support guidelines analyses for you to show you the differences so that you can decide how to proceed forward in your negotiations or litigation.

Wolf & Shore Law Group is here to make your negotiations and divorce matters easier, not harder.  Call us if you have any questions about how to start the process, or if you have questions even after you have started.  Ever argue with a woman? Let Wolf & Shore Law Group go to work for you. Call us at 203.745.3151 or email us at

Very Truly Yours,

Wolf & Shore Law Group


Skip to content