Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer
Moving Out After Divorce

Dear Attorneys,


I am filing for divorce and want to move out of my house. Someone told me that if I do that, I won’t get any money for the house and that I may still be responsible for the mortgage. Is that true?




May B. Moving


Dear May,


If you vacate the martial residence, it does not mean that you will lose your claim to your portion of the marital equity/value.  However, depending on how you and your spouse traditionally paid the mortgage, and who is/is not employed, you may be obligated to continue to pay part, or all of the mortgage. That said, it would likely also be beneficial for you to do so to not only accrue equity, but also to ensure that your credit is not damaged. You should consider speaking with an attorney to see what options would be most beneficial to you in your specific situation.


Wolf & Shore Law Group is here to help you make your family law matters easier, not harder. We handle dissolution matters and help you make the best decisions possible along the way. Ever argue with a woman? Let Wolf & Shore Law Group go to work for you. Call us at 203.745.3151 or email us at


Very Truly Yours,

Wolf & Shore Law Group


*The situations represented in our Dear Attorneys column are entirely fictional and any resemblance to a specific case is unintentional. We cannot, and will not, offer legal advice to anyone who is not a client. However, if you do have questions or concerns, you should contact an attorney at your convenience.

Skip to content