Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

I Don’t think my Child’s School has enough COVID-19 Protocols and I want to enroll them in another school, My Ex does not agree. Can I enroll them and tell my Ex later?

Dear Attorneys,


I don’t think that my child’s school has enough COVID-19 protocols in place and I want to enroll him in a different school district. My ex-wife does not agree with me. Can I just enroll him and tell her later?




School Switcher


Dear Switcher,


That likely depends on the custody agreement that you have in place. If you have sole legal custody then yes, you can make that decision. However, if you and your ex-wife have joint legal custody over your child, then no, you must consult with her before changing his school district.  Joint legal custody means that the two parents will confer with each other and try to reach an agreement prior to making any major decisions pertaining to the child’s general welfare, education, religion or medical matters. If the two of you cannot agree, then you may need to file a motion in court, seek mediation, or the services of a parenting coordinator, or, in some circumstances, other mechanisms may be built into the parenting plan as well.


If you have additional questions, contact Wolf & Shore Law Group. We are here to make your custody matters easier, not harder.  Ever argue with a woman? Let Wolf & Shore Law Group go to work for you. Call us at 203.745.3151 or email us at


Very Truly Yours,

Wolf & Shore Law Group

*The situations represented in our Dear Attorneys column are entirely fictional and any resemblance to a specific case is unintentional. We cannot, and will not, offer legal advice to anyone who is not a client. However, if you do have questions or concerns, you should contact an attorney at your convenience.


Skip to content