Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer
Child Support

Dear Attorneys,


I want to pay a lump sum amount to my child’s mother to “buy-out” child support. Can I do that?



Lump Out

Dear Lump,



You may be able to do that, but it depends on a couple of factors. Most importantly, does the other party agree? Absent an agreement, a lump sum payout is not something that the Court is likely to order. Aside from an agreement though, the Court will take into consideration whether or not the agreement is in the child(ren)’s best interest and if it is an equitable agreement. Furthermore, you should make sure that the agreement is something that you are comfortable with and truly want. Before you enter into any lump sum payout, whether you are giving such or receiving such, you should consult with a lawyer to consider the pros and cons of the situation.


Wolf & Shore Law Group is here to help you make your family law matters easier, not harder.  We are realistic and up front with our clients. We encourage potential clients to seek out a firm where they will feel comfortable and confident. Ever argue with a woman? Let Wolf & Shore Law Group go to work for you. Call us at 203.745.3151 or email us at


Very Truly Yours,

Wolf & Shore Law Group


*The situations represented in our Dear Attorneys column are entirely fictional and any resemblance to a specific case is unintentional. We cannot, and will not, offer legal advice to anyone who is not a client. However, if you do have questions or concerns, you should contact an attorney at your convenience.

Skip to content