Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Dear Attorneys,

I don’t think that my son is safe with my ex-wife. DCF has gotten involved, but we don’t have a safety plan yet. I do not want to send my son to my ex-wife’s house this weekend for her parenting time. Can I just keep him home?


Safety Sam

Dear Sam,

That is a tricky situation. Your lawyer can never advise you to violate a court agreement/order.  Therefore, if your underlying agreement indicates that your ex-wife must have parenting time on the weekends (even if it’s every other weekend and this just happens to be her weekend), you need to comply with that. However, if you have safety concerns and DCF is involved, it may be necessary for you to exercise your best judgment and do what is safest for your child. Make sure that you speak with your attorney and keep him or her in the loop. If DCF does not weigh in within seventy-two (72) hours of you notifying them, you should reach out again. Additionally, if you feel that your child is in danger at any time, you should call the local police department to make a remote. You may have the option of filing an ex parte (emergency) motion in family court as well. Above all else, make sure your son is safe and go from there.

Remember, you don’t have to navigate this challenging situation alone. Seek support from experienced professionals who can guide you through the legal process and help you make informed decisions. Wolf & Shore Law Group is here to help you make your family law matters easier, not harder.  We are realistic and direct with our clients. We encourage potential clients to seek out a firm where they will feel comfortable and confident. Ever argue with a woman? Let Wolf & Shore Law Group go to work for you. Call us at 203.745.3151 or email us at

Very Truly Yours,

Wolf & Shore Law Group

*The situations represented in our Dear Attorneys column are entirely fictional and any resemblance to a specific case is unintentional. We cannot, and will not, offer legal advice to anyone who is not a client. However, if you do have questions or concerns, you should contact an attorney at your convenience.

Skip to content