Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Dear Attorneys,

I got divorced a few years ago. We went to a trial and the judge issued a final Order. However, I was not happy with it and have filed a few post-judgment motions. All of my motions were denied, and now I’m required to file a request with the court before I can file more motions. Is this normal? What should I do?


Requesting Ricky

Dear Ricky

Sometimes the court will order parties (usually those who are self-represented) to file a Request for Leave with the Court before moving forward with more post-judgment motions. This happens often when a party files a lot of motions because sometimes the party does not understand the threshold that they need to meet in order to file the motion. For example, if you are looking to file a post-judgment motion to open and modify, you either need to prove a substantial change in circumstances, or show that the modification would be in the child’s best interest. Without meeting at least one of those criteria, the motion will be denied. When you are required to file a Request for Leave, you file that document first and then, if it’s granted, not only can you file your motion, but you know that the Court believes you have grounds to move forward at that time.

Remember, you don’t have to navigate this challenging situation alone. Seek support from experienced professionals who can guide you through the legal process and help you make informed decisions. Wolf & Shore Law Group is here to help you make your family law matters easier, not harder.  We are realistic and direct with our clients. We encourage potential clients to seek out a firm where they will feel comfortable and confident. Ever argue with a woman? Let Wolf & Shore Law Group go to work for you. Call us at 203.745.3151 or email us at

Very Truly Yours,

Wolf & Shore Law Group

*The situations represented in our Dear Attorneys column are entirely fictional and any resemblance to a specific case is unintentional. We cannot, and will not, offer legal advice to anyone who is not a client. However, if you do have questions or concerns, you should contact an attorney at your convenience.

Skip to content