Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

There are many circumstances in which children may need a new home. Whether a parent passes away, maybe has a substance abuse problem, or becomes incarcerated, their children will need a stable and nurturing place to live.

Is there a child in your family that you would like to take in? There is a typical train of thought when it comes to these situations: “I will take this child in and adopt them!” While this is extremely noble, it is not always the best, or most practical, option.

Adoption is not as easy as it seems. It requires terminating the biological parents’ rights to their child, which can be a lengthy process with no guaranteed outcome. The Department of Children and Families will need to conduct an investigation, and will render a recommendation, before an adoption can occur, which can take quite a bit of time.  Also, specific criteria need to be met in order to even apply for a termination of parental rights.

What many people don’t realize is an option is a Removal of Guardian and a petition to appoint yourself as the child’s new guardian. You can file this petition with the probate court, along with a request for an order of temporary custody in the meantime, if necessary. Parental rights do not need to be terminated, and you can effectively become the guardian of the minor child who needs to be cared for.  Also, very often, the child’s parents are willing to consent to the temporary order of custody, and sometimes, to appoint someone else as the child’s guardian, as they may realize that it is in the child’s best interest.

Wolf & Shore Law Group handles an abundance of guardianship, termination of parental rights, and adoption cases cases in the probate courts throughout Connecticut, and would be happy to help you with yours. Please contact our office today for a confidential consultation. We can be reached here, at 203.745.3151, or at

Skip to content