Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Dear Attorneys,


I’m in the middle of a divorce, and my husband is adamant that he makes very little money. However, he is a professional and works at least 50 hours per week. It’s not possible. Now, since it looks like I make more, I may have to pay him alimony. Is there anything I can do?




Edith Earner


Dear Edith,


You may have a few options if your husband is claiming that he earns less than he does, or less than he could. You may want to consider hiring a vocational expert. The only way to determine someone’s earning capacity is to have an expert opine as to what it is. That is exactly what a vocational expert would do.  Alternatively, if you think he is truly earning money, but hiding it, you may want to consider hiring a forensic accountant.  This would essentially be a “deep dive” into his finances to see if there are any hidden accounts. Either of both of these methods could prove to be helpful if it would result in you paying less, or no, alimony, in the future.


If you have additional questions regarding your divorce concerns, contact Wolf & Shore Law Group. We are here to make your divorce matters easier, not harder.  Ever argue with a woman? Let Wolf & Shore Law Group go to work for you. Call us at 203.745.3151 or email us at


Very Truly Yours,

Wolf & Shore Law Group


*The situations represented in our Dear Attorneys column are entirely fictional and any resemblance to a specific case is unintentional. We cannot, and will not, offer legal advice to anyone who is not a client. However, if you do have questions or concerns, you should contact an attorney at your convenience.

Skip to content