Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Dear Attorneys,


I want to file for divorce, but I don’t know which divorce papers to file. What do I do?



Divorcing Debbie


Dear Debbie,


If you plan to file for divorce on your own, you can go to the courthouse (or the judicial website) and obtain the correct forms. The Clerk’s Office or Court Services Center can also point you in the right direction. However, you may want to consider consulting with an attorney. Even if you do not end up retaining an attorney, if you invest time in a consultation, you can ask questions and make sure that you are fully informed before filing.


In general, there is a Summons, Complaint, and Automatic Orders. However, you may need to file for pendente lite motions, or want to file requests for financial production. If you have children, you will also need to complete an Affidavit Concerning Children. There are additional forms and steps that must also be completed after the divorce is filed, so it is often beneficial to have the assistance of an attorney. Congratulations on deciding to take the next step and move forward with your divorce. We hope that your matter goes quickly and smoothly for you.


Wolf & Shore Law Group is here to help you make your family law matters easier, not harder.  We are realistic and direct with our clients. We encourage potential clients to seek out a firm where they will feel comfortable and confident. Ever argue with a woman? Let Wolf & Shore Law Group go to work for you. Call us at 203.745.3151 or email us at


Very Truly Yours,

Wolf & Shore Law Group


*The situations represented in our Dear Attorneys column are entirely fictional and any resemblance to a specific case is unintentional. We cannot, and will not, offer legal advice to anyone who is not a client. However, if you do have questions or concerns, you should contact an attorney at your convenience.


Skip to content