Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Dear Attorneys,


I recently filed for divorce, and I want to move out of my house. I just can’t stand being around my wife any longer. If I move out, will I forfeit my share of the equity in the house? When will I see my kids?



Movin Marv

During Divorce, Can You Make Your Spouse Move Out?

Dear Marv,


If you choose to move out of your house during the pendency of your divorce, you can likely do it without compromising the equity you have accrued in the marital residence to date.  However, there are some other factors to consider. For example, were you contributing to the household expenses? If so, are you willing and able to continue to do so if you have a place of your own? Have you and your spouse worked out a parenting plan? If not, there is a chance that your Wife may not allow you to see your children when/where/how you want.  In addition to that, if you stop contributing to the mortgage and/or other household related expenses, you may forfeit equity accrued from the date you move out through the date of the divorce.  Since there are a few different factors here to consider, you may want to consult with an attorney and determine your best course of action so that you are set up for “success” for the remainder of the pendency of your divorce.


Wolf & Shore Law Group is here to help you make your family law matters easier, not harder.  We are realistic and direct with our clients. We encourage potential clients to seek out a firm where they will feel comfortable and confident. Ever argue with a woman? Let Wolf & Shore Law Group go to work for you. Call us at 203.745.3151 or email us at


Very Truly Yours,

Wolf & Shore Law Group


*The situations represented in our Dear Attorneys column are entirely fictional and any resemblance to a specific case is unintentional. We cannot, and will not, offer legal advice to anyone who is not a client. However, if you do have questions or concerns, you should contact an attorney at your convenience.

Skip to content