Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer
Social security cards

Dear Attorneys,


I currently receive Social Security Disability Income (SSDI), and am going through a divorce. I know my benefits will change once my spouse’s income is not taken into account. However, I don’t know how much it will change. How do I find this out?



Income Inquiry

Dear Income,


Take the change in your income into consideration is a great step in the right direction. If you have a case worker through social security, you should contact him or her and see if they can do a recalculation of your benefits. You may also want your attorney to sign a release for you to speak directly to your case worker. Hopefully, your attorney and case worker can work together to determine first what the modification of benefits would be and then second, how, if at all, any property settlements and/or alimony would affect your benefits. If your family law attorney is unsure as to how to proceed, you can also consult with a social security benefits attorney.


Wolf & Shore Law Group is here to help you make your family law matters easier, not harder.  We are realistic and up front with our clients. We encourage potential clients to seek out a firm where they will feel comfortable and confident. Ever argue with a woman? Let Wolf & Shore Law Group go to work for you. Call us at 203.745.3151 or email us at


Very Truly Yours,

Wolf & Shore Law Group


*The situations represented in our Dear Attorneys column are entirely fictional and any resemblance to a specific case is unintentional. We cannot, and will not, offer legal advice to anyone who is not a client. However, if you do have questions or concerns, you should contact an attorney at your convenience.

Skip to content