Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

I am Ready to Finalize My Divorce. The Judge Said that he will no Finalize the Divorce until after Our Baby is Born. I don’t want to wait any longer, Do I have any options?

Dear Attorneys,


My husband and I ready to finalize our divorce. We have both been self-represented parties. I thought that our paperwork was correct, but the judge said that he will not finalize the divorce until after our baby is born. I’m seven (7) months pregnant and don’t want to wait any longer. Do I have any options?



Anxiously Awaiting


Dear Anxiously,


While some judges in Connecticut may feel differently, most judges will not finalize a divorce while the Wife is pregnant. This is because until the child is born, he or she cannot be included in the pleadings.  If the Complaint says that no minor children have been born into the marriage (which at this time would still be accurate), then the Court cannot enter a valid child support order, parenting plan or anything else relating to the minor child. While I’m sure it must be frustrating to wait, just know that you will have a more thorough, and certainly, valid, agreement, after your child has been born. If you and your husband have already agreed on a parenting plan, child support, and related expenses, then you can just await your child’s arrival and add in his or her information into the pleadings.  Alternatively, if you need to work through these concepts, you should consider consulting with an attorney who can guide you in the right direction.


If you have additional questions, contact Wolf & Shore Law Group. We are here to make your dissolution matter easier, not harder.  Ever argue with a woman? Let Wolf & Shore Law Group go to work for you. Call us at 203.745.3151 or email us at


Very Truly Yours,

Wolf & Shore Law Group

*The situations represented in our Dear Attorneys column are entirely fictional and any resemblance to a specific case is unintentional. We cannot, and will not, offer legal advice to anyone who is not a client. However, if you do have questions or concerns, you should contact an attorney at your convenience.

Skip to content