Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

My Parenting Plan was made a long time ago, I want to take my Child on vacation during February break, Do I need my Ex’s permission?

Dear Attorneys,


My child is 16 and our parenting plan was drafted a long time ago. At the time, schools still had February break, so we had included that under the section for Holidays and Vacation. However, my child’s school now only has two days off instead of a week. I want to take her on vacation that week. Do I need my ex’s permission?




Vacay Mode


Dear Vacay,


If you and your ex-spouse have joint legal custody, you will likely need his or her consent before removing your daughter from school for a vacation. You should review your dissolution agreement to see if it specifies anything about taking your child out of school. In addition to that, you may want to consider updating that portion of your parenting plan, as well as any others that may be out of date since children’s and parents’ needs generally change during such a long time span.


If you have additional questions, contact Wolf & Shore Law Group. We are here to make your divorce, custody, and post-judgment matters easier, not harder.  Ever argue with a woman? Let Wolf & Shore Law Group go to work for you. Call us at 203.745.3151 or email us at


Very Truly Yours,

Wolf & Shore Law Group

*The situations represented in our Dear Attorneys column are entirely fictional and any resemblance to a specific case is unintentional. We cannot, and will not, offer legal advice to anyone who is not a client. However, if you do have questions or concerns, you should contact an attorney at your convenience.

Skip to content