Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Dear Attorneys,


I want to have my six year old vaccinated against COVID-19.  However, my ex-husband does not agree. We have joint legal custody, but I have final decision making authority. Am I allowed to schedule her vaccination?



Final Say


Dear Final,


If you have final decision making authority, you can likely make a decision such as getting your child vaccinated. However, does your agreement specify anything else that you need to do before you execute your final decision making power? For example, some co-parents need to go to a co-parenting counselor to discuss issues upon which they do not agree.  However, regardless of that, you are still supposed to have a discussion with your co-parent and make a good faith effort to try to reach an agreement. It may be worth consulting with an attorney before taking your child to be vaccinated just so that you make sure that you are not willfully violating any underlying agreement.


If you have additional questions, contact Wolf & Shore Law Group. We are here to make your family law matters easier, not harder.  Ever argue with a woman? Let Wolf & Shore Law Group go to work for you. Call us at 203.745.3151 or email us at


Very Truly Yours,

Wolf & Shore Law Group

*The situations represented in our Dear Attorneys column are entirely fictional and any resemblance to a specific case is unintentional. We cannot, and will not, offer legal advice to anyone who is not a client. However, if you do have questions or concerns, you should contact an attorney at your convenience.

Skip to content