Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Dear Attorneys,

Can I force my spouse to attend marriage counseling during our divorce?


Curious Counsel

Dear Curious,

If you want to go to marriage counseling with your spouse after your divorce is already pending, you (or your attorney) can file a Request for Conciliation. While your spouse is able to object to that request, if they do not, the Court will grant your request and will stay (i.e. halt) the divorce for six (6) months and also require both parties to attend at least two (2) marriage counseling sessions. However, you technically cannot force your spouse to attend the counseling because they can always object to the request if they want to. Hopefully this is something that you can discuss with your spouse and find a common ground to work on moving forward.

Remember, you don’t have to navigate this challenging situation alone. Seek support from experienced professionals who can guide you through the legal process and help you make informed decisions. Wolf & Shore Law Group is here to help you make your family law matters easier, not harder.  We are realistic and direct with our clients. We encourage potential clients to seek out a firm where they will feel comfortable and confident. Ever argue with a woman? Let Wolf & Shore Law Group go to work for you. Call us at 203.745.3151 or email us at

Very Truly Yours,

Wolf & Shore Law Group

*The situations represented in our Dear Attorneys column are entirely fictional and any resemblance to a specific case is unintentional. We cannot, and will not, offer legal advice to anyone who is not a client. However, if you do have questions or concerns, you should contact an attorney at your convenience.

Skip to content